Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Greve"-ing with the "Grenouilles" (Striking with the Frogs)

Today was the day that I became truly French. Striking is pretty big a part of the culture in France and I'm glad I got to do it before I leave. Today at school most of the students went on strike because the government in France is changing around the Baccalaureate so that you can't take some subjects like History and Economics which all the students are really annoyed about, so instead of just living with it, most of the public schools all over France did whats called a "Blockus" which is pretty much where you put a bunch of rubbish bins, grills, etc. in front of the entrance of the school so the kids can't get it. Most of the schools only have 1 small door that leads out onto the street which is pretty easy to block up but our school has steps that lead up to 3 doors so it took us about an hour to block it all up. In that time some kids had gotten inside and, unfortunately for them, had to stay inside unil 5:30pm when the school day finishes. It was a pretty cool sight to see and something that I felt I really needed to experience.
(the photos are a bit smaller cause I took them on my phone).



This is what my school USUALLY looks like.
But Today.......









No comments: